THE month of August signals the end of the summer season for another year. And what a year it’s been! Definitely one we won’t forget in a hurry!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 fresh free range chicken
Extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp pistachio nuts, chopped, to decorate
For the dressing:
Good handful basil leaves
1 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Squeeze of lemon juice
For the peas:
350g Fresh podded or frozen peas
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
Generous knob of butter
Few fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Wipe the chicken inside out and place in a roasting tray.
- Mix olive oil with garlic and season.
- Cover with foil and roast in a pre-heated oven, Gas 5 375F 190C, allowing 40mins per kg plus about 20 minutes extra.
- Remove foil about 10 minutes before end of cooking time to allow skin to crisp To test if the chicken is cooked, the thighs should wiggle loosely in the sockets and have no sign of pink juices when the thickest part is pierced with a skewer. The skin should be golden and crisp.
- When the chicken is nearly ready, mix the dressing. Roughly chop basil and place in a jar. Add nuts, olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning. Put a lid on the jar and shake together. Reserve.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken and return to the oven for another five minutes. Remove and set aside to rest while you prepare the peas.
- Place peas and tomatoes in a pan with butter, seasoning and a splash of oil. Cover with a lid and cook gently for a few minutes, till the peas and tomatoes are heated through and softened.
- Shake the pan occasionally. Season and add mint.
- Place the chicken on a warmed serving platter and spoon the peas and tomatoes around.
- Scatter over chopped pistachios to serve.