IN this part of August, it always feels like the best of the summer is behind us, although we can always hope for an Indian summer come September. But that doesn’t mean you have to abandon the salad bowl for another year. You can kill two birds with one stone, with a warm salad that utilises seasonal ingredients, while providing a summery but sustaining supper.
3 fat garlic cloves, unpeeled
Olive Oil for brushing
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp good quality mayonnaise
1kg baby new potatoes
4 slices prosciutto, torn into pieces
4 fresh scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
4 small fresh ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 handfuls baby rocket leaves, rinsed and patted dry
Chopped pistachios or mixed seeds to finish (optional)
- Place garlic cloves on a piece of foil on a roasting tray and brush lightly with oil. Season.
- Wrap the garlic cloves in the foil and roast in a pre-heated oven, Gas 4 350F 180C for 15 minutes or until the cloves are soft.
- Peel garlic and squash cloves with the flat of a wide bladed chopping knife, to make a puree.
- Stir puree into mayonnaise with seasoning. Reserve.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes in lightly salted boiling water till just tender. At the same time, cook the prosciutto pieces in a dry pan over high heat till crisp. Reserve, keeping warm.
- Drain potatoes and leave to cool for a minute, then chop roughly. Place in a bowl Add chopped scallions, sliced tomatoes and rocket and spoon over the mayonnaise.
- Toss together and reserve, keeping warm.
- Spoon potato salad into bowls and scatter over the warm crispy prosciutto and chopped pistachios or seeds to finish.