This light, delicious orange cake is very versatile. It would suit for brunch. I can dream of sitting having a lazy morning with good coffee, orange cake, blackberry or mixed berry compote and yogurt. Alternatively, it would be delicious with prunes soaked in a spicy syrup with a splash of rum for brunch or dessert. You can make this into 12 cupcakes or bake in a loaf or mini loaf tins. It will suit all shapes, just adjust the cooking time.
155g cream flour
25g corn flour
1 tsp. baking powder
4 large free range eggs - separated
150 g sugar
¼ tsp. cream of tartar or a ¼ tsp. lemon juice
60 gr melted butter
Zest of two oranges
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. orange extract
40 ml prange juice
- Preheat the oven to 165C.
- Line 12 muffin paper cups in a muffin tin or grease and line a loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, corn flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
- In the bowl an electric mixer whisk the egg white, salt and cream of tartar together until they soft peaks.
- Add half of the sugar, on e table spoon at a time, and whisk until stiff peak forms.
- Transfer the egg white mixture to a clean bowl.
- Now put the egg yolks in the bowl with the remaining sugar together until pale yellow.
- Add the butter, orange zest, vanilla extract and orange extract, whisk to mix well.
- Turn mixer to low, add 1/3 of the flour mixture into the egg yolk batter.
- Next add half of the orange juice, then one third of the flour mixture.
- Finally add the remaining orange juice and rum and then the remaining one third of flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Remove the whisk attachment and add the egg white by hand, one third at a time.
- Share the batter evenly between the cake papers, or directly into the tins.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a tooth pick insert into of the cake comes out clean.
- Once cooked, remove from the tins and cool on wire rack.
- Serve as is with berry compote and Greek yogurt or top with orange frosting.
1 tbsp. orange juice
1 tbsp. rum
65gr sifted icing sugar
Finely grated zest of an orange
- Stir all the ingredients together until smooth and spoon over the cooled cup cakes.