THE onset of the winter months is always a time to consider revamping the diet to incorporate more bug busting foods.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 largeish sweet potatoes, peeled and in chunks
2 yellow peppers, seeded and chopped
100g green beans, stalks removed and roughly chopped
500mls vegetable or chicken stock
75mls tomato passata
2 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
½ tsp dried mixed herbs
Good pinch dried red chilli flakes (optional).
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 tbsp fresh curly parsley, roughly chopped.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes over low heat till softened but not browned.
- Add sweet potatoes, pepper and green beans and turn up the heat to medium. Cook, stirring for a couple more minutes.
- Pour over stock and add tomato passata and cannellini beans. Stir in herbs and chilli flakes if using.
- Bring to bubbling then lower heat and simmer, covered, till veggies are
- Season and add parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Ingredients (Makes 4 individual puddings)
8 slices of bread softened butter for spreading
1 large ripe mango
3 fresh free range eggs
50 mls cream
1 tbsp brown sugar plus a little extra for topping
1 tsp ground ginger
4 tbsp granola (optional)
1 tbsp mixed seeds (optional) extra butter for dotting icing sugar for dusting
- Butter the bread and cut into triangles.
- Peel the mango.
- Hold it flat and firmly on a board with the palm of one hand, and cut horizontally, holding the knife flat against the stone as you cut. Remove the top slice of fruit. Turn over and repeat with other side. Trim off any excess flesh still on edges of the stone. Cut the flesh into slivers.
- Arrange bread slices in four individual ovenproof dishes, points facing upwards. Tuck the mango slivers between the bread slices.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk and cream. Stir in the brown sugar and ginger.
- Pour over the bread.
- Scatter the tops of the puddings with granola and seeds and dot with butter. Sprinkle with a little extra brown sugar.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas 5 375F 190C for 12- 15 minutes, or until the custard is set but still sllightly wobbly, and the tops of the puddings are browned.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar