These delicious muffins are a nice recipe to try with younger members of the family over the mid-term break. The muffins themselves are vegan — you can make the icing vegan by using vegan dark chocolate and a non-dairy cream. Either way they are great.
115g coconut oil melted
200gr self-raising flour
30gr ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
120 gr soft light brown sugar
300gr mashed ripe banana
2 flax eggs (each made with 1 tbsp. of milled flax seed added to 3 tbsp. of water)
100g toasted peanuts
2 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C.
- Put 12 paper cases in a muffin tin.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Sift or whisk and ensure there are no lumps.
- Mix together the mashed bananas, flax eggs, oil and essence.
- Add the flour to the banana mixture and mix well, finally fold in the peanuts. (Keep a few to decorate the muffins).
- Scrape into the lined muffin paper and place in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until cooked through.
- Lift onto a wire rack to cool before topping with icing.
- Allow the cake to cool fully before covering.
75gr cream (non-dairy if making for vegan)
75gr dark chocolate
75gr coarse peanut butter
- Melt the chocolate over a Bain Marie of water.
- Bring the cream to the boil, and add to the chocolate.
- Stir together with the peanut butter until smooth then whisk gently to cool and thicken.
- Once the icing is cool, pipe it onto the muffins, decorate each with a piece of peanut.
- These are best eaten the day they are made.