THE extensive crypts below St Patrick’s Church on the Lower Glanmire road have been damaged recently.
A concert took place this week to raise funds to pay for the cost of the repairs.
There are 60 vaults in the Crypt and still houses about 16 coffins, dating back as far as 1856.
The Church itself was built in 1832.
The Architect was George Richard Pain who with his brother James also designed other important buildings in Cork including the Courthouse.
The church was built to a classical design and constructed in limestone.
Annie Moore, the first immigrant to arrive at Ellis Island in New York was baptised in St Patrick’s.
As a result of the collapse of the underground roof of the vaults in the crypt, the floor of the Church needed immediate renovation. These repairs have been completed but they now need to be paid for.
The damage to the vaults occurred naturally over time as the original brick work had a lifespan of approximately 100 years.
Soloist Linda Kenny joined the Cork City Male Voice Choir, the Cork Prison Officers Choir and The Choir of St Patricks Church. Musical Director for the evening was Joe Leake.