IT is hoped the way will be cleared tomorrow for construction to finally begin on the Cork event centre project.
Heritage body An Taisce has confirmed to The Echo that it will not be lodging an appeal to An Bord Pleanála against the planning permission that was granted for the long-awaited venue by City Hall in October.
Built environment and heritage officer at An Taisce Ian Lumley said the national trust organisation has been considering their position since October 10 but will not seek to delay the project any further.
“We’ve discussed it internally and we are not taking any appeal to An Bord Pleanála," Mr Lumley said.
“I know there have been submissions made by people in the area regarding impacts so there may well be local business, property or resident appeals. An appeal can still be lodged at the last minute on the final day but it won't be from us,” Mr Lumley added.
Last year, An Taisce said new designs submitted by developers Bam were “most unsatisfactory” and had changed from original plans in 2011.
It had concerns over the glazed facade on the south-east corner of the building and has long-held concerns over the location of the venue on the historic site of the former Beamish & Crawford brewery and its impact on medieval Cork.
However, the project now looks set to proceed barring an eleventh-hour submission from elsewhere to An Bord Pleanala.
When contacted today, the planning appeals board said they had yet to receive any appeals on the project on the former Beamish & Crawford brewery site.
Permission for the development was granted subject to 48 conditions by Cork City Council on October 10th, meaning the deadline for submissions with An Bord Pleanala is tomorrow.
There had been concerns that the project could have faced significant delays if the granting of planning permission by Cork City Council was appealed.
The project is in line for €30 million in state funding, while the cost is estimated to be in the region of €80 million.